Wednesday 24 February 2016

A farewell to Cuddesdon

I have left Cuddesdon and it feels appropriate to say goodbye with some sort of summing up of my experiences of trying to find birds around the village. 
There were some fabulous sunrises:


And some fabulous sunsets:

My most satisfying finds: 

The blog title says it all: Birdless Cuddesdon, I did not find a lot. Some of this is due to my skill levels and some due to poor coverage. My ambition was to try to find a county rarity. Phil Barnett once told me that this make take 10 years. I only gave it 8! A Shrike seemed most likely, but it was not to be (though a Great Grey Shrike at nearby Chiselhampton was a near-miss). I recorded 108 species of bird around Cuddesdon between mid-2008 and early 2016, plus two escaped species (Harris Hawk and Snow Goose). I am sure I missed much, as always, greater coverage produces more. Here, in no particular order, are some of the bird finds that I enjoyed the most. On the whole these are Cuddesdon rarities. Apart from the Redstart they represent the only record of that species or subspecies:

A stonking (probable Greenland) Wheatear in early April:

A trilling fly-over Waxwing:

Is there a better start to an early April morning than finding a male Redstart?

A magnificent Merlin:

A reeling Grasshopper Warbler:

Green Sandpiper, my best wader:

But, by coincidence (for I believe that any other explanation would seem to invoke rather a lot) my two most statistically and emotionally interesting finds both occurred on my first local patch visits after the births of my children. On 25th March 2010, 11 days after the birth of our first daughter I stepped into the fields and was staggered to find myself looking at a male Ring Ouzel, perched in a local hedgerow. I never saw another in 8 years of trying:



But lightening can strike twice. Two years later, on 21st January 2012, a mere 7 days after the birth of our second daughter, I recalled that Ring Ouzel and wondered if I would be lucky again. 12 minutes later I am watching Oxfordshire's first ever (and to date only) Whitethroat recorded in winter, a remarkable record for a bird that should be in Senegal at that time of year:


Rural weather:

I was "fortunate" to live in Cuddesdon through some of the coldest winters in recent memory. There was a night when the temperature dropped to -17° and I can still the penetrating cold of cycling to work at -12°. For the first three winters there was snow each year:



What I won't miss:

1. The sound of gunshots and bird scarers. Often the first sound I heard on awakening would be the sound of gunfire:

2. Low flying aircraft:


3. Rapeseed, the harsh colour and penetrating smell and taste of early summer. Yuck:

4. The chemical desert of the modern English countryside. Living out here has permanently changed the way that I see "the countryside". Rolling fields of wheat and rapeseed are not beautiful. Their production soaks the land in chemicals removing much insect and therefore bird and mammal life. Even in the 8 years I lived in Cuddesdon there was an observable reduction in the amount of hedgerows and mature trees. 


Mammals and amphibians: some survive! 











Local conservation:

There wasn't much. But this gave me a lot of pleasure:

3 Hobby chicks in a purpose built nest platform.

The Birds:

And finally here are some nice Cuddesdon bird pictures to remind me that, for all the challenges of modern agricultural practice, some birds do cling on in Cuddesdon... for the moment. 






I wish the 2 or 3 pairs of locally breeding Corn Buntings good luck and hope they cling on. I hope the Hobbys continue to nest on their platform, they were always a joy to see. 

The future:

I now live in Headington, Oxford. Back in the city. Ironically we now spend much less time in the car and more time cycling and walking. But where would my new local patch be? A city park didn't quite feel right and neither did somewhere that I would have to drive to. This morning, following a hint from Richard Ebbs, I discovered the Lye Valley Nature Reserve, just a few minutes walk from our house:

Who would have thought that there was ancient fen, fed by the water that passes through the limestone valley sides, in central Headington? The high alkaline content of the water (8.6pH!) has allowed a remarkable range of unique plants to survive here for thousands of years. The site is a SSSI and I met Dr. Judy Webb, a botanist and prime mover on the reserve, who has helped catalogue over 300 species of plant in the small valley and Tony, the butterfly expert, on site this morning. Apparently they need someone to help record the birdlife on the reserve, which (surprise, surprise) is threatened by a nearby housing development. The Lye Valley is small, but unique and ancient. It also appears to have my name written all over it. I feel a new blog coming on. 

10 comments:

  1. Good luck Tom, spare a thought now and then for myself across on the other hill at Garsington. Like you I continue to notice the deterioration of everything around me, each year feeling more and more desperate. Remember to keep an eye out for that Lesser Spot.though!.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts Steve, at least you have annual Spotted Flycatchers in Garsington! All the best for the future and yes, LSW is very much on my radar, cheers, Tom

      Delete
  2. Hi Tom, Welcome to Headington. Lye Valley is just next door to us. I have seen around 30 species (I am not very good at it!). I can share my list with you if helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luke and thank you for your welcome! Any bird records from the Lye Valley would be useful, best by email tom.aladin.bedford@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Hi Tom, it's great to see you settle in to a new patch so quickly! I wonder how long it will take you to get over 108 species! I greatly admire the Friends of Lye Valley and all the hard work they do. I'm sure they'll be happy to have you on board. Richard Ebbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank for Baì viết hữu ích. Mình cũng muốn giới thiệu về một Công ty dịch thuật uy tín - Công ty CP dịch thuật miền trung - MIDtrans địa chỉ 02 Hoàng Diệu, TP Đồng Hới, tỉnh Quảng Bình có Giấy phép kinh doanh số 3101023866 cấp ngày 9/12/2016 là đơn vị chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật, phiên dịch dành các cá nhân. Hệ thống thương hiệu và các Công ty dịch thuật con trực thuộc: văn phòng dịch thuật sài gòn 247 địa chỉ 47 Điện Biên Phủ, Phường Đakao, Quận 1 TP HCM, dịch thuật phan thiết, bình thuận : địa chỉ 100 , Lê lợi, TX Phan Thiết là nhà cung ứng dịch vụ dịch thuật uy tín hàng đầu tại Bình Thuận vietnamese translate : dịch vụ dịch thuật cho người nước ngoài có nhu cầu, giao diện tiếng Anh dễ sử dụng; dịch thuật công chứng quận 12 (mười hai) : nhà cung ứng dịch vụ dịch vụ dịch thuật phiên dịch hàng đầu tại Quận 12 (mười hai), TP HCM; dịch thuật đà nẵng midtrans : Địa chỉ 54 Đinh Tiên Hoàng, Quận Hải Châu, TP Đà Nẵng chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật công chứng, dịch thuật chuyên ngành tại Đà Nẵng; dịch thuật hà nội midtrans : địa chỉ 101 Láng Hạ, Đống Đa, Hà Nội là nhà cung ứng dịch vụ biên dịch, phiên dịch chuyên nghiệp tại địa bàn Hà Nội. Chúng tôi chuyên cung cấp các dịch vụ biên dịch và phiên dịch, dịch thuật công chứng chất lượng cao hơn 50 ngôn ngữ khác nhau như tiếng Anh, Nhật, Hàn, Trung, Pháp, Đức, Nga, Tây Ban Nha, Bồ Đào Nha, Ý, Ba Lan, Phần Lan, Thái Lan, Hà Lan, Rumani, Lào, Campuchia, Philippin, Indonesia, La Tinh, Thụy Điển, Malaysia, Thổ Nhĩ Kỳ..vv... Dịch thuật MIDtrans tự hào với đội ngũ lãnh đạo với niềm đam mê, khát khao vươn tầm cao trong lĩnh vực dịch thuật, đội ngũ nhân sự cống hiến và luôn sẵn sàng cháy hết mình. Chúng tôi phục vụ từ sự tậm tâm và cố gắng từ trái tim những người dịch giả.Tự hào là công ty cung cấp dịch thuật chuyên ngành hàng đầu với các đối tác lớn tại Việt nam trong các chuyên ngành hẹp như: y dược (bao gồm bệnh lý), xây dựng (kiến trúc), hóa chất, thủy nhiệt điện, ngân hàng, tài chính, kế toán. Các dự án đã triển khai của Công ty dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp MIDtrans đều được Khách hàng đánh giá cao và đạt được sự tín nhiệm về chất lượng biên phiên dịch đặc biệt đối với dịch hồ sơ thầu , dịch thuật tài liệu tài chính ngân hàng, dịch thuật tài liệu y khoa đa ngữ chuyên sâu. Đó là kết quả của một hệ thống quản lý chất lượng dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp, những tâm huyết và kinh nghiệm biên phiên dịch nhiều năm của đội ngũ dịch giả của chúng tôi. Hotline: 0947688883. email: info@dichthuatmientrung.com.vn . Các bạn ghé thăm site ủng hộ nhé. Cám ơn nhiều

    ReplyDelete
  5. Khoai Deo Hải Ninh là Đặc Sản Quảng Bình nổi tiếng được trồng trên những cát trắng của Xã Hải Ninh, Huyện Quảng Ninh, tỉnh Quảng Bình. Được xem là Khoai Deo Quảng Bình thượng hạng, khoai deo Hải Ninh nổi tiếng khắp ba miền bởi hương vị thơm ngon hảo hạng mà hiếm có loại khoai deo nào sánh bằng. Nguồn gốc khoai nguyên liệu tạo nên hương vị của khoai deo. Có lẽ chính cái nắng, cái gió từ tự nhiên đã tạo nên hương vị đặc biệt: bùi bùi, vị ngọt lắng sâu trong làm mê mẩn thực khách. Khoai Deo Hải Ninh, Quảng Bình là món quà tinh tế gửi tặng bạn hiền, tri kỷ, gửi gắm biết bao tình cảm chân thành của mảnh đất và con người miền nắng và gió Quảng Bình. Là một người con của vùng đất Hải Ninh, Quảng Ninh, Quảng Bình, Chúng tôi mong muốn được góp một phần nhỏ bé của mình vào việc quảng bá đặc sản quê hương đến mọi miền tổ quốc. Chúng tôi chuyên cung cấp sản phẩm Khoai Deo Hải Ninh với chất lượng vượt trội, được thu mua tận nơi sản xuất. Đảm bảo không sử dụng các chất có khả năng gây nguy hiểm cho sức khỏe con người.Chúng tôi mong muốn được phục vụ quý khách hàng trên toàn quốc một các tốt nhất. Nếu quý khách có nhu cầu mua sản phẩm giá sỉ, vui lòng liên hệ với Hotline để đươc tư vấn
    Thông tin liên hệ Khoai deo Hải Ninh, Quảng Bình
    Địa chỉ: Tiểu Khu 5, thị trấn Quán Hàu, Quảng Ninh, Quảng Bình
    Hotline: 0979.453.416 (Ms Trúc)
    Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/khoaideongonquangbinh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listen...

    This might sound kind of weird, and maybe even a little "supernatural"

    BUT what if you could just hit "PLAY" to listen to a short, "magical tone"...

    And INSTANTLY attract MORE MONEY to your life???

    And I'm talking about BIG MONEY, even MILLIONS of DOLLARS!!

    Think it's too EASY??? Think it couldn't possibly be REAL?!?

    Well, I'll be the one to tell you the news.

    Many times the greatest blessings in life are the SIMPLEST!!

    Honestly, I'm going to PROVE it to you by letting you listen to a REAL "miracle money tone" I've produced...

    And TOTALLY FOR FREE

    YOU just click "PLAY" and the money will start coming into your life. starting pretty much right away.

    TAP here to PLAY this magical "Miracle Abundance Tone" as my gift to you!!

    ReplyDelete