Sunday 13 April 2014

Wheatears...just.

After the early morning mist cleared...

... morning sunlight revealed the local agricultural monoculture in all it's ghastly yellow:



A few summer migrants clung to the hedgerows, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and now a few Willow Warblers. A single Swallow flew north. But the fields of rapeseed do not harbour wildlife. If I was going to find something I needed different habitat. I headed south and saw a field of newly emerging broad beans near Denton. If there was anywhere that was going to attract a migrant species (and lets face it Wheatear is the only realistic one), it would be here. I scanned the field from the road and on my very first pass... found 3 Wheatears, right in the far corner:

To say that they were distant was an understatement. 2 males and 1 female:


75 species for the year. 104 bird species (+2 escaped species) for the area since 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment